Saturday 22 March 2008

Best bird watching day for years - Part 1

For many years now I have wanted to see a Waxwing, but had never seen one. Someone told me there was one just North of Chesterfield, so yesterday around midday I went and had a look and had no joy. It occured to me, morning may be a good time to go and see them because of it being a cold night, so I was out the house by 7.30 this morning to be at Chesterfield by 8.00. Eventually I saw one, I was over the moon, I managed to get only a few metres away from it and I got some great photographs of it.

Waxwing:





About an hour later I went to Lenacre Reservoir (just up the road), where I saw some Whooper Swans, 5 goosanders (1 male and 4 female) and I also heard a woodpecker drumming, yet sadly I didn't see it.
Whooper Swans
Goosander

So a very successful start to the day, now I'm off to Carsington Waters, for a walk, and to do some more bird watching and wildlife photography. I just can't live without it.

3 comments:

Tricia Ryder said...

Anna - congrats on your Waxwing, what a great find and great picture.

I've only ever seen one once when it was reported being present about 7 miles from me. Needless to say I went and found it.

Nick Patel said...

Great pictures Anna, especially the Waxwing, i'm so jealous!

Nick S said...

Hey, congrats on the Waxwing :-)
I never saw one when i lived back home in Hertfordshire.