Saturday 1 March 2008

Ogston Bird Club monthly bird walk

Today was the monthly bird walk at Ogston Bird Club (my local bird club). Even though it was raining and there was a very strong wind, it doesn't bother me in the slightest, I’ll go out in all weathers, it's what you have to prepare yourself for if your interested in the environment. You have to get out in it, to appreciate it all.
The bird walk occurs the first Saturday of every month, from 9.30 to around 12.00, it does mean getting up early, but it's well worth it. I saw some great birds today, and found out some interesting information from people I know there.
Here's the list of species I saw:
  • 2 Great Crested Grebes, which were courting, which was great because I had never seen it before.
  • Heronry – consisting of 20 herons. Which I had also never seen before.
  • 12+ Canada Geese
  • 15+ Teal
  • 2 Mallard
  • 1 Stonechat
  • 1 Buzzard
  • 6+ Coots
  • 25+ Lapwings
  • 2 Nuthatch
  • 1 Willow Tit
  • 5+ Common Gulls
  • 10+ Black Headed Gulls
  • 1 Woodpigeon
  • 2 Blackbirds
  • 1 Wren
  • 2 Robin
  • 2 Redwing
  • 2 Mistle Thrush
  • 2 Long Tailed Tits
  • 2 Blue Tits
  • 3 Great Tits
  • 7 Starlings
  • 5+ Chaffinch
  • 2 female Greenfinch
  • 1 Kestrel

No comments: